Not just for sushi anymore. There are so many ways to cook with one of the sea’s most nutrient-packed plants that go beyond rice rolls and miso soup. Whether you’re new to cooking with algae or a veteran pro, this simple and quick recipe will keep you nourished and satisfied for hours.
For the salad:
- 1 cup dried wakame (or arame)
- 4 cups water
- 3 cucumbers
- 3 carrots
- 1-2 red radishes
- 1/2 avocado, sliced in wedges
- 2-3 green onions
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds (essential!)
- Soak seaweed in water and set aside for 20 min.
- Thinly slice cucumber, carrot, and radish & combine in a bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Drain and squeeze seaweed to remove excess water. Cut into strips or 1” pieces and add to the salad mixture.
- Pour in dressing and top with sesame seeds, avocado wedges, and green onion. Enjoy!
Photography and Food Styling by Suzi Hyun
Words by Emilie Swan