Let's make leftover-friendly Chicken Tinga! You can eat it anyway you like — on a tostada, in a taco or quesadilla, or stuffed in a tamale.
- Chicken (I used 16 oz)
- Bay leaves
- 200g tomates
- 1 chiles guajillo
- 1 chile chipotle in adobo
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup chicken broth -salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water, then add chicken, onion, garlic, bay leaves, salt until chicken is cooked.
- Shred your chicken with preferred method, my favorite is by using a mixer.
- Add water to a medium pot and boil over medium heat. Add tomatoes and the guajillo chilies (stems and seeds removed), until tomatoes are cooked through. 10 to 15 minutes approx.
- Blend guajillo chilies, garlic, spices, chipotle chile, and chicken stock.
- Slice onion into rings. Heat the oil in a large cooking pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly soft and transparent.
- Add shredded chicken and mix well. Pour sauce on top of chicken and mix well.
- Cook for about 15 minutes while stirring until onions are cooked through and there’s almost not liquids in the pan.
Photography, Recipe and Food Styling by Evelyn Arguelles (@livewellwitheve).