Make Nobu's famous Miso Cod at home with this secret recipe! Shared by our Social & Partnerships Lead Gabby Phi, this recipe is light and fresh– perfect for the end of summer.
- 4 black cod fillets (around 8 oz each)
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
First, marinate the fish! This needs to take place 2-3 days before you plan to eat/serve the dish. To start making the marinade, bring the sake and mirin to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Boil for 20-30 seconds to evaporate the alcohol.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the miso paste, and whisk it in.
- Ensure the miso has dissolved completely and then turn the heat up to high and add the sugar. Constantly whisk to make sure the sugar doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat once the sugar is fully dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Pat the black cod fillets thoroughly dry with towel. Slather the fish with the marinade and place in a Food Container. Close the lid (make sure it's air tight) and leave in the fridge marinating for 2-3 days.
- Then you're ready to cook the fish! Heat an oven-proof skillet on high on the stove.
- Gently wipe off any excess miso marinade clinging to the fillets.
- Cover the pan with oil, then place the fish on the pan (skin-side-up) and cook until the bottom of the fish browns and blackens in spots. This should take around 3 minutes.
- Flip the fish and continue cooking until the other side is browned, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the oven and broil for 4 minutes. It's ready when the fish is opaque and flakes easily.
Photography, Recipe and Food Styling by Gabby Phi (@gabbyphi).