Sweet enough to satisfy your craving, and just savory enough to keep you coming back for more. These caramels are a dream to eat and a delight to gift.
- 100g fine white sugar
- 100g light brown sugar
- 240g whipping cream
- 35g unsalted butter
- 50g honey
- 32.5g white miso
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/8 tsp flakey salt
- Grease and line a 4x8 loaf pan. Leave a healthy overhang for easy extraction.
- Add both sugars, cream, butter and honey in a medium saucepan. Stir with whisk to combine, then cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until the sugars and butter have melted completely. Lower the heat to a simmer and stir frequently for 35 more minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in the miso, salt and vanilla. Pour into the prepared tin and place in fridge to cool and set (at least 3 hours, up to overnight).
- Once set, cut into uniform squares and sprinkle with finishing salt. You might spray your knife with non-stick spray to avoid sticking.
- We recommend placing finished caramels in mini muffin papers (pictured) or wrapping each individually in greaseproof paper before storing in an airtight container.
Photography and Food Styling by Emilie Swan