Gifting gold. These citrus rinds-turned-candy make for a healthy, but sweet low-waste treat. Perfect for gifting in your Containers and, dare we say, better than a box of chocolates?
- 3 oranges
- 4 lemons
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
* you can also use limes or grapefruit.
- Cut citrus peels, using a vegetable peeler, into long 1/4 inch wide strips. The white part (the pith) is bitter, so remove as much as possible with a knife.
- Boil peel in a pot with water for 15 mins. Drain and rinse at least 4 times to reduce bitter flavor.
- Add sugar to 1 cup water and bring to boil. Add citrus, simmer on low for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally until peels become translucent.
- Remove hot peels and place in bowl of sugar. Toss to coat.
- Spread candied citrus peels out on a wire rack to cool and dry for up to 2 days.
Photography and Food Styling by Suzi Hyun
Words by Emilie Swan