While eating the proper foods is key to glowing and healthy skin, don’t sleep on the idea of using your fridge to source ingredients for a topical treatment. Consider the kitchen your new day spa!
Meet the DIY face masks that got the team through a long year of WFH:
Hydration + Soothing
Honey & Oats
Oatmeal has powerful anti-inflammatory properties and honey is a great humectant, meaning it hydrates the skin and locks in moisture. The optional lemon is rich in vitamin C, which is great for brightening and treating dark spots.
- Cook 1 serving of oatmeal.
- Add 2 tbsp of honey to hot oatmeal (plus optional 1 tsp lemon for brightening)
- Allow oatmeal to cool and apply to face for 10-15 min
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
Brightening + Glow
Papaya, Cacao & Aloe Vera
Packed with vitamins A, C, E, B1, 2, 3, 6, and 12, aloe vera soothes, hydrates, and plumps skin for a glowing complexion. Paired with exfoliating papaya and antioxidant-packed cacao, this trio will leave you with a beaming complexion.
- Mash ¼ papaya in bowl
- Mix in 1 tbsp cacao powder, and squeeze of aloe vera until paste-like consistency forms (it’s okay if there are lumps!)
- Apply thick layer to face and let sit for 10-15 min
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and a washcloth
Clear + Texture
Banana, Citrus & Turmeric
4 powerhouse ingredients come together for a simple, but effective mask that targets congested pores, irritation, and dullness. Rich in vitamin A, bananas help restore the skin’s moisture and tone. The citrus works to brighten, the honey helps lock in moisture, and all the while turmeric fights stubborn pigmentation and inflammation.
- Mash banana with a fork
- Mix in 1 tbsp honey, ½ tsp turmeric, and 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For smoothest consistency, you may blend the ingredients
- Massage on the face and leave on for a minimum of 5 minute before rinsing off.
So there you have it! DIY face masks to level up your WFH morning routine. Let your skin heal over morning coffee or inbox maintenance while basking in the knowledge that nature’s remedies are always the answer for your skin and your wallet.